Sunday, February 1, 2015

That Morning Coffee

The Morning Coffee
 

By: Alexandra Ramonez




              

Ever since freshman year of high school I have had the ‘need’ to have my morning cup of coffee. Usually it would just be a cup I would make at home for on the go. If I ever got a ride to school, my friends and I would stop at either Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks for our morning fixes. Personally, my favorite is Dunkin Donuts. The Starbucks in the picture shown is the one in downtown Plainfield near Plainfield Central High School, off of Route 126. The Dunkin Donuts shown below is located in Plainfield off of Caton Farm.
 http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/OIbE8p6K1ifzQ0psg6qmEA/l.jpg  http://www.loopnet.com/photo/poster_1920/7854f835fe6a491bbbc34090a6dc4ec3.jpg
                When walking up to Starbucks it is very clean and bare. Bare meaning that there are not any flowers or bushes around the windows to make it friendlier and pop out. Walking in, your nose instantly gets filled with the aroma of coffee. It is heaven to the nose. The atmosphere is super friendly and everyone is greeted by the associates behind the counter. Soft music plays gently in the background, not too loud to where it is overpowering and difficult to hear other people, and not too quiet to where you would have to strain to listen. But perfect sounding, you can have a conversation with the person across from you and not get distracted or have to shout over the music. Even with a drive-thru the wait time is never over ten minutes. I have been to this Starbucks a handful of times and I have never waited more than five minutes. I love the fall season, so I can order my favorite flavor: pumpkin spice latte. Pumpkin pie chunks are added into it, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Another one of my favorites to purchase, is their cheesecake. Always delicious and always leaves me wanting more.
http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/00-starbucks-food-2.jpg
                Going to Dunkin Donuts is quite similar to Starbucks, the outside is not very appealing, but very bland: no flowers, bushes, rocks. When you walk in the lights are fairly bright, there are flat screens behind the counters to display new items or broadcast old ones. Like Starbucks the associates greet you kindly and make sure you feel welcomed. Music does not play softly in the background, just soft murmurs from other customers and orders being taken, or beeping sounds from the ovens. The televisions do not play with any sounds. Dunkin has the same fresh scent of coffee brewing as soon as you walk in. The downfall is that Dunkin Donuts does not have cheesecake or different cakes and pastries and yogurts, they have muffins, bagels, donuts, munchkins, and a variety of breakfast sandwiches. Their donuts are my favorite, usually going with the Boston Crème, the chocolate Long John or the original glazed. With the fall season, I also enjoy the Pumpkin Spice flavored cream; extra cream, extra sugar. The wait time does vary. I have never seen more than three people working at this Dunkin, and when a breakfast sandwich is order, it takes maybe three to eight minutes for the sandwich to be prepared and cooked.
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/tastychomps/dunkindonuts/DSC04885.jpg
                All in all both places serve quite delicious cups of coffee and yummy snacks, but if I had to pick one or the other, it would be Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks coffee is a little pricey along with their foods, but very good. Dunkin’s prices are slightly lower; but the pricing doesn’t matter to me. I personally find Dunkin Donuts to have better tasting coffee and their donuts are more appetizing to me. Both restaurants have drive-thru’s at different locations, for quick and easy access for on-the-go, in a hurry people. Coffee is a life saver, and a wonderful treat. A person who has not been to either place, will not go home unsatisfied.






1 comment:

  1. This is a nice post as far as it giving a some key similarities and differences between the two places. I would like to see the images. Also, it would be helpful if the conclusion broke down the criteria and your decisions for each place in more detail. How much does a cup cost exactly? Flavor choices? Specific food choices?

    ReplyDelete