Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Zip Fitness: The Casual Gym for the Casual Person

By Alvia Cherrington


It's the start of a new year, and I've realized that I've gained a few pounds and need exercise. In the past, I've found that simply walking in my neighborhood worked best for me. However, because of winter, it’s not quite feasible to go outdoors. So, my best option is to join a gym.  For me, proximity, hours of operation, cost, cleanliness, customer service, [adequate and functioning] equipment, demographics, atmosphere, parking, and size are important factors to consider when selecting a gym.  

I've been hearing about Zip Fitness, a gym here in Joliet. I had passed it many times (it is recessed in a small plaza), and even have family members that use it regularly; so I decided to go check it out.  I drove a short distance to the gym, and found adequate parking.  The aquatic blue and lime green colors of the logo, Zip Fitness, were somewhat attractive.  I walked in through the front door, and was greeted by the staff.





A minor turnoff for me was that I was required to sign a “guests’ sheet” in order to tour the facility; when I inquired as to the reason, the staff stated, “[y]ou must sign-in in case you break something so that we won’t be liable for any damages incurred”.  This is understandable, but I felt they could have stated this policy with more tact.


As I scanned the gym, the atmosphere gave me a subtle message of “get what you need to get done and get out, quickly and efficiently”. The lighting wasn't bright – somewhat drab (I prefer bright lights over dim ones), and there was an overall theme of gray: gray warehouse ceilings, gray floors and carpets, gray fitness equipment, and partially gray walls with the Zip Fitness theme colors. The cardio exercise equipment were also lined up too closely. In essence, I had the general impression of being in an industrial assembly line.





Although the overall tone seemed somewhat mechanical, the “30 Minute Strength Circuit” area may be attractive to those with tight schedules.  There were several rows of treadmills, stair masters, elliptical machines, exercise bikes, weight machines, and a designated area for free weights. There were about 17 large TVs suspended above the cardio machines, in order to distract the mind from the pains of walking, running, or cycling.





A few complaints from members include:  Free weights were up to a maximum of 75 pounds, there was only one E/Z curl bar in the free weight area, and in the rare event that a machine breaks, repairs could take up to a month.

Additional factors that appealed to me were the following:  Music was minimal, quiet, easy and subtle.  There were sufficient cleaning stations as well as clean bathrooms and showers.  The lockers were organized, neat and spacious.  The fact that they are open 365 days a year (opening at 4:30 am on weekdays and closing by 11 pm).  The majority of members I saw were minorities (Latinos and Afro-Americans), which made me feel more relaxed.  However, there were no swimming pools, track, ball courts, exercise classes or children’s day care centers in contrast to other gyms in this area.

The following rating is based on a 1-10 scale:

Distance: 7/10 (Inwood Athletic Club is a block away, and I also prefer walking in my neighborhood…Zip Fitness is over a mile away)

Hours of Operation: 7/10  (Planet Fitness is open 24/7)

Price: 7/10   (Planet Fitness has a $10.00 basic monthly fee)

Cleanliness: 8/10 (The walls, floors, and bathrooms are clean. Employees wipe down the equipment regularly, and there is always enough disinfecting wipes to clean each equipment after use)

Customer Service: 7/10 (There is always someone at the desk, usually bilingual, and they are willing to answer your question; however, in my opinion, a bit more tact would be nice).

Equipment: 6/10 (Although I’m only going there for the cardio, the gym would benefit with more variety and quantity in their free weights)

Demographics: 8/10 (Some people at Zip appear closer to my build, thankfully)

Atmosphere/Aesthetics: 6 /10 ( More lighting, more vibrant colors like splashes of yellow, orange, purple would make Zip fitness feel alive)

Parking: 6/10 (Parking is available providing that the other businesses in the plaza aren't experiencing a high volume of customers)

Size (of interior): 6/10 (There isn't much of anything there, and it is all limited to the space available)

Overall rating: 6.8/10

Bottom line, I am looking for a gym with the least possible excuses not to go. It takes me roughly 5 minutes to get to Zip Fitness from my house; this is doable. They open at 4:30 am, which should fit my schedule of walking early in the morning. For this month, the basic membership is only $1.00. Their monthly fee is $12.99 and you can cancel at any time without penalty. Because of the proximity, hours of operation, price, cleanliness and demographics, I am inclined to give Zip Fitness a try.


In summary, Zip Fitness is not child-friendly, as evidenced through the lack of a daycare center. Its focus is not on hardcore body-building.  It is not designed for athletes who need a multitiered workout. (There are others with similar opinions in their review.) Zip Fitness seems to appeal to the working person of limited resources that cares enough and takes the time to invest in their health. It is a casual workout facility, designed for casual people with casual goals.

2 comments:

  1. This review does exactly what a review should do. You have a personal narrative throughout coupled with a clear evaluation based on criteria. The images are also nicely spaced and incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review does exactly what a review should do. You have a personal narrative throughout coupled with a clear evaluation based on criteria. The images are also nicely spaced and incorporated.

    ReplyDelete