Monday, March 9, 2015

research paper


This research paper excites me because I didn't like the working poor and the stance it took on poverty. Very few people are trying to improve their life and get out of poverty. Most people are looking for handouts and getting everything given to them. The working poor seemed to have a very liberal view on poverty and the definition of the poverty line. Minimum wage means minimal skills. People aren’t meant to live off $8.25/h. I’ve encountered a problem on having many details on the book because it was so dry I skim read most of it. All I really read how everything is a “vicious cycle of debt” and all that nonsense garbage. The only way I plan to get through this issue is to discuss the topic with another person in class or I will go on sparks notes or something. For this book I literally bought an audio book of it and listened to all 13 hours of it while sometimes having a book in front of me. The book was so terribly dry and I disagreed with almost every view the book had. My family own multiple houses in Markham and Sauk village and the government pays for majority of the rent and 9/10 family still can’t pay the rest even though they are assessed on their yearly income on how much their part should be. It’s not that they don’t make enough it’s is just the house smells like weed and no one want to work. On the other hand my aunt lives in the ghetto yet her and her husband work for a living and had 5 kids yet still don’t need handouts. They don’t have that great of jobs and they both grew up from being dirt poor and still managed to have a good standard of living. So it’s hard to believe the “vicious cycle” and all that garbage. If you want something earn it. For me it’s just hard to have interest in a book when it goes against everything I have seen all my life. A guy became a citizen and started working for my dad 40+ hours a week. Making $10/h and had another job at night as a janitor and slept in his car so he can come to my dad business in the morning. While his family lived in a house and so he could put his kids though school. He ended up working his way up and making $20/h and he improved his position.
calvin pickup

No comments:

Post a Comment